Friday, July 2, 2010

Easy Times

It has been quite a change of pace in the places I have been in the last few days.  The weather is about a cool 20 degrees C and it green mountain views.  The last town I was in was called Mcloed Ganj, the Tibetan refuge from the Chinese government.  The local people were very nice, no one was out to get my money like Delhi.  It was also a big backpackers travel town.

One of the days I was there I decided to go to the Tibetan Buddhist monastery.   It was a very nice peaceful place and I just hung around there for 2 or 3 hours. I made a bunch of Indian friends just wondering around and taking my time (they love to come and practice there English with you. They are all very nice people too.  They also always want to take pictures with you, I have had so many pictures I feel like a celebrity).  I finally decided to leave because it looked like it was going to rain and outside there was a large crowd of people.  I decided to stick around to see what everyone was waiting for, so I was there no more then 10 min when the man him self drives by.  That man being the Dalai Lama.  It turned out to be one of those things right place right time.  This trip just keeps getting better and better.

I am now just living the good life in a place called Manli on $5 a night with the sound of the river putting me to sleep every night. Yesterday I had a pair of pants and a shirt made for me ($10 dollars each). Maybe today I will have a nap in a hammock.

Off to Leh in a few days from some trekking and my meditation and yoga class.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. The Dalai Lama!?!?!?! That is amazing! I just read an article about him today. Apparently, China is currently discussing the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama when he dies. Reincarnations of spiritual leaders must be approved my the Chinese government. However, there are politics behind this between Tibetans and China of course.

    Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/world/asia/02dalai.html?ref=asia


    Good luck, continue forward, and I can't wait to hear more! Miss you!

    Your gang over here in the US is meeting up in the city/Long Island for July 4th. We'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete