I have been back and forth on my feeling of Cambodia but I have finally come to a good place where I can really enjoy my self. For the last week or so I will admit to everyone I was in a little bit of a slump. Wasnt making friends, didnt stop raining and the knowledge of Cambodia's civil war was depressing me. Maybe just maybe I miss all of you. But dont worry I am back and ready for some more action.
The city I am in now has revived me, Battambong. It all started with me spend some time with some Buddhist monks. They invited me in to there small but well stocked university library. I spent a bit of the afternoon read some business books and helping some of them with some of there school work. Buddhist monks are always a good sources of a friendly face and a really nice person to talk to. You also dont have to worry about it being a scam in the end either.
The next day I did all the tourist things to do in town, although there is lack of tourist in this town to start out with. Less tourist is always a plus for me. First I went to this bamboo train. Yes the whole thing was made completely of bamboo except wheels were iron of course. I friend I made later gave the best description of it, "it's the closest you will come to riding a magic carpet." Then next I went to some ancient temple but first I had to climb some 300 straits on a strait up incline to get there. There were 5 temples made of stone dating back as far as 11th century. The craftsmanship of these structures is quite remarkable. There ability to withstand the test of time is just something to be marveled. The third of final thing of the day was these killing caves were the Khmer Rough would kill Cambodians in secrecy. It was on top of this mountain with these beautiful views and monkeys running around. It was a beautiful and peaceful place were such atrocities occurred. Having seen the other monument of the Khmer Rough I was prepared for it and was able to understand it and move forward just as the Cambodians have embraced the whole situation. Thus allowing to be at peace and see the beauty of the mountain.
I am now going to Ankor Wot tomorrow to see the temples which is now considered one of the wonders of the world. Still love hearing from people so send more emails if you would like.
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's about the two month mark I warned you about!!! Keep your head up.
ReplyDelete