I went to a small art shop on the island of Kho Sami where I feel what happened there really encompasses my whole trip. Although I had previous insight on the changes in myself and how I viewed the world, this interaction puts it all into a nice little package.
The art shop was a zen artwork boutique and all the art was made by this one little Thia Chinese lady. Her art work was largely comprised of Chinese characters and bamboo with oil paint on straw/rice paper. This type of art has always drawn me in and led me to stop in and buy something. The artist was this small, overweight, jolly and extremely sweet middle aged lady. She had that type of joy that could fill a whole room and infect your soul. Her small artist hands would touch you, as she often did, and you could literally feel the love that she intended to spread to all that she met. She was just a true pleasure to meet.
I decided to pick out 4 Chinese characters that had deep meanings (love, dream, soul and good health) even thou it is very cliche, it just felt right. These four words really capture who I am and strive to be. Love and forgiveness is the breathing heart of the world and have the most remarkable power to make a difference. Dreaming is why we take risk when things appear impossible, they make us work hard to achieve them and they can also give us the greatest happiness and deepest sadness that exist. Soul and passion are what makes us dream and love, sing and dance and just lay it out all on the line. I have always admired those that are undeniably passionate no matter what they do, it takes a lot of strength recognize ones passion and act on it. Finally there is good health, none of these other characteristics would be possible without an able body healthy person. These 4 things encapsulate mind, body and soul.
I was disappointed to find out she didnt have a painting for the character dream. I was forced to choose another to create a symmetrical piece of artwork. That is when I found the character that represented wisdom. At that moment I thought to myself "now that fits a lot better." Why -- because wisdom is the mind part of the four words. Love, soul, wisdom and good health are all foundational characteristics. From them dreams, hopes and lively hood could be created.
So now my picture was complete. These four things, that I now recognize, I already have within me. On this journey I have discovered my life journey to develop these characteristics much further. A journey that will take me 7 life times to complete but one I am full willing to attempt.
The magical part about this story is that the artist wanted to give me 2 gift in the form of two more character artworks. The first was the Om sigh, a Tibetan symbol that is for meditation. A cosmic sound that is largely connected to peace. The second piece of art that she gave me was the empty circle. This represents life as it is complete and empty at the same time -- it is everything and it is nothing. When she gave me these two art works she told me that some people come into her shop just to buy things and others just understand her. She said to me that she could feel that I understood her -- powerful words. It is a overwhelming feeling when you can connect with someone on such a level when you know so little about then and have a strong language barrier. I left that after noon with a big huge and the touch of joy infecting my mind, body and soul.
I know there is a lot of symbolism in this story and I regret that I cannot explain it all because it is my life and my job to do those things for myself. The one thing that I can do is to encourage you (who ever you are) to decipher the symbolism in your life. As a suggestion I found that a little extended trip, not a vacation but cheap traveling, will set you on a course to find what you are looking for.
“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
I hope you all enjoyed the blog and maybe it got you thinking maybe you could do it too. I will probably make a little picture slide show of some of my picture. So if your interested send me an email (jstnwllns21@gmail.com).
Love Ya
Thanks
Cheers
The art shop was a zen artwork boutique and all the art was made by this one little Thia Chinese lady. Her art work was largely comprised of Chinese characters and bamboo with oil paint on straw/rice paper. This type of art has always drawn me in and led me to stop in and buy something. The artist was this small, overweight, jolly and extremely sweet middle aged lady. She had that type of joy that could fill a whole room and infect your soul. Her small artist hands would touch you, as she often did, and you could literally feel the love that she intended to spread to all that she met. She was just a true pleasure to meet.
I decided to pick out 4 Chinese characters that had deep meanings (love, dream, soul and good health) even thou it is very cliche, it just felt right. These four words really capture who I am and strive to be. Love and forgiveness is the breathing heart of the world and have the most remarkable power to make a difference. Dreaming is why we take risk when things appear impossible, they make us work hard to achieve them and they can also give us the greatest happiness and deepest sadness that exist. Soul and passion are what makes us dream and love, sing and dance and just lay it out all on the line. I have always admired those that are undeniably passionate no matter what they do, it takes a lot of strength recognize ones passion and act on it. Finally there is good health, none of these other characteristics would be possible without an able body healthy person. These 4 things encapsulate mind, body and soul.
I was disappointed to find out she didnt have a painting for the character dream. I was forced to choose another to create a symmetrical piece of artwork. That is when I found the character that represented wisdom. At that moment I thought to myself "now that fits a lot better." Why -- because wisdom is the mind part of the four words. Love, soul, wisdom and good health are all foundational characteristics. From them dreams, hopes and lively hood could be created.
So now my picture was complete. These four things, that I now recognize, I already have within me. On this journey I have discovered my life journey to develop these characteristics much further. A journey that will take me 7 life times to complete but one I am full willing to attempt.
The magical part about this story is that the artist wanted to give me 2 gift in the form of two more character artworks. The first was the Om sigh, a Tibetan symbol that is for meditation. A cosmic sound that is largely connected to peace. The second piece of art that she gave me was the empty circle. This represents life as it is complete and empty at the same time -- it is everything and it is nothing. When she gave me these two art works she told me that some people come into her shop just to buy things and others just understand her. She said to me that she could feel that I understood her -- powerful words. It is a overwhelming feeling when you can connect with someone on such a level when you know so little about then and have a strong language barrier. I left that after noon with a big huge and the touch of joy infecting my mind, body and soul.
I know there is a lot of symbolism in this story and I regret that I cannot explain it all because it is my life and my job to do those things for myself. The one thing that I can do is to encourage you (who ever you are) to decipher the symbolism in your life. As a suggestion I found that a little extended trip, not a vacation but cheap traveling, will set you on a course to find what you are looking for.
“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
I hope you all enjoyed the blog and maybe it got you thinking maybe you could do it too. I will probably make a little picture slide show of some of my picture. So if your interested send me an email (jstnwllns21@gmail.com).
Love Ya
Thanks
Cheers
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJustin,
ReplyDeleteI am at a loss for words except for, "thank you". Your sharing is a precious gift and I can only say "thank you' and hope that you know how big those two words are and how deeply I mean them...
Love always,
Mom