Wednesday, July 28, 2010

No I am Not Enlightened (that will take another 6 life times)

I just finished my meditation and yoga course two days ago. I can admittedly say I still have not comprehended it all, I could take me another week or even a few years. I didnt only gain new knowledge of meditation and flexibility of yoga but the teachings of Buddhism, mindfulness, insight into my life, mental health and much much more.
The day started out at 530 everyday and ended at 10, there were two 1 hour yoga sections and 7 hours of mediation split into three 2.5 hour sections. The retreat was silent, meaning I didnt talk for 10 days (that in its self was a very difficult task). It was one of the most difficult things that I have done in my life.
The basis of meditation is to gain mental health just as one works out to obtain physical health. Most people think (as I did before I took the class) that meditation is were some one just sits and relaxes and doesn't think anything. The reality is that it is more or less the complete opposite then that. Ones main goal is to de-condition the mind from things society or other sources that had made you think. For example someone who is scared of dogs can revers that by understanding why and how the mind has come to that those conclusions. I my self dont completely understand everything because I am still a beginner ( and I hope I haven't confused you too much) but I plan on continuing to learn more and be able to prefect my practice.
There is one piece of knowledge that truly resonated in me that I would like to share with you all and hope you can utilize it as well. My teacher said "take one of every hour to be mindful and live in the moment." For those of you that didn't take that class this means to allow one to know exactly what you are doing. If your standing know you are standing, if your about to start eating know your eating and if your angry know your angry. Not only will this bring a calmness and de-stress your life but it will help you understand your self better every hour of the day and there is always something new to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I am following your trip faithfully and am with you every step of the way. I LOVE this post and all you say about meditation. Love it, love it, love it. You are and always will be a great teacher. I believe this is just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete